Jaggery, Certified Organic
Jaggery, Certified Organic
This is Pure Jaggery. For Jaggery infused with herbs and spices, Click Here.
Jaggery, unlike white sugar, contains rich molasses and trace minerals naturally present in sugar cane juice. This is what gives it such a complex, bright, fruity flavor beyond just being sweet! The color of traditionally-made, chemical-free jaggery ranges from golden to dark brown. Texture may vary from hard/dry to soft/melted. Please let us know if you have a specific preference, and we will try to accommodate as best as possible.
What is a Best By Date?
What is a Best By Date?
A Best By Date is NOT an expiration date. A Best By Date serves as a "suggestion" for when a product will be of best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date. We sell products past their Best By date for a minimal discount. This offers you savings on a product which is still safe and useable for a long time.
Use the Food Keeper App on FoodSafety.gov to determine approximately how soon you should consume something after Best By Date.
Orders over $125 qualify for a flat rate of $9.99. This applies to the Continental USA outside of Northeast region. This does not include Alaska or Hawaii.
ONLY NORTHEAST USA
Orders over $75 qualify for a flat rate of $5.99. This applies ONLY to the Northeastern part of the United States, including CT, DE, DC, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, VA.
WHAT IS YOUR HANDLING TIME?
Pure Indian Foods orders are processed, shipped, and delivered on business days: Monday-Friday (excluding weekends and major holidays). Please allow 2-4 business days for processing depending on product availability and order volume.
HOW LONG IS TRANSIT TIME
USA: On average, 5-10 business days.
Canada: On average, 6-10 business days, but sometimes longer to get through customs.
International: We do not have an estimated time for other countries.
International orders outside the USA may attract additional customs, taxes and duties upon entry to your country; this is the responsibility of the customer. If the package is refused by your country's customs department and it it sent back to us, the shipping cost will be non-refundable. Please be aware, there may be delays.
DO YOU OFFER LOCAL PICK UP?
We are online-only.
We want our customers to be satisfied with the quality of our products. If a product is damaged during shipping or you are unhappy with the product, simply let us know within 14 days after delivery, and we will try to resolve the situation to your satisfaction in a way that is fair to both parties. We are a small company and try to do our best for each situation. Please contact us if you have any questions prior to purchasing.
If you receive the order and you are not satisfied with it, you can return the merchandise in original packaging within 14 days along with the receipt. Once we receive your package, we will refund the amount charged of the items returned. Unfortunately, we cannot refund the shipping costs, unless the product is damaged or defective.
If you refuse the order or if the carrier was not able to deliver it, we will give full refund less the shipping charges.
If the shipping address that you supply is found to be incomplete or incorrect then you are responsible for the additional charges imposed by the shipping company for correcting the address.
RETURNED TO SENDER / UNDELIVERABLE
If we send you a shipment and it gets returned back to us as it was undeliverable to the address provided, we will refund the amount you had paid for the products only. Unfortunately, we cannot refund the shipping cost. We offer the option to reship the same order to an alternative address for an additional shipping fee.
View full details
Organic Jaggery: The Healthy Alternative to Sugar
If you’re looking for a healthy alternative to ordinary sugar for sweetening, cooking and baking, you are going to love our naturally delicious, mineral-rich, certified organic jaggery. It’s made from the extracted juice of organically grown sugarcane, produced to form a gorgeous, rich, healthy sweetener that has been used in traditional diets in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh for centuries.
Often called “gur” in India, jaggery is used in sweet and savory dishes as well as beverages. Because it is pressed from organic sugarcane, it retains natural vitamins and minerals not found in table sugar, such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and calcium. Even the ancient healing practice of Ayurveda recognizes the importance of jaggery for promoting good health.
Here are some tips for cooking with jaggery:
- Use equal amounts or a little less jaggery in place of sugar in a recipe. Jaggery is rich - both in flavor and nutrition, so a little bit can go a long way.
- If you keep jaggery in the refrigerator, be sure to bring it to room temperature before using in a recipe.
- Mash with fingers or grate as much as you need using a regular cheese grater. Remember, for best results, use room temperature jaggery.
- Make “jaggery syrup” to use in recipes calling for liquid sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup, molasses, corn syrup, etc. For every tablespoon of jaggery, use one teaspoon of water. Blend or whisk well to make syrup. Because jaggery syrup is naturally sweet and rich, you can use less in your recipes. For example, if a recipe calls for ½ cup honey, try 1/3 cup jaggery syrup.
Differences between organic jaggery and refined sugar:
- Refined sugar is processed using chemicals to clarify the cane sugar juice syrup, whereas organic jaggery is produced by simply boiling this syrup without the use of harsh chemicals.
- Refined sugar is solid and crystalline, whereas organic jaggery is soft and amorphous.
Texture May Vary
Because jaggery is a natural, unrefined product, the texture, moisture content, and flavor may vary. This does not mean it is bad or expired. Some jaggery may be more dry. Some may be more "melted" and have more liquid molasses.
Unrefined jaggery is naturally sticky and moist. It's 100% pure.
We seal it in airtight packaging to prevent from contamination before delivery to you. Please remove it from the plastic packaging and allow air to reach it so some of the moisture can evaporate.
Don't refrigerate it, as jaggery is soft due to moisture, and the refrigerator only introduces additional moisture. You can store the jaggery in its original package without sealing it back in any way. The box has a little gap, which allows some air to reach it. It needs air to not spoil. Moisture is what will make it spoil. Air exposure is fine though.
Because this is a natural product, consistency varies. Some blocks are more moist naturally (which is more traditional), and some blocks are more dry. Dry blocks can be grated with a box grater. Softer jaggery is natural and normal and can be cut with a spoon or butter knife.
Q&AQ. What is the recommended amount to take daily?
A. Thanks for trying our jaggery. It replaces sweeteners like sugar, maple syrup, and honey in your diet. Since Jaggery is very satisfying due to its unique taste, it may help you reduce the amount of sweetener in your diet, if that’s what you want to do. We are not able to offer any specific advice based on your age and weight. An Ayurvedic practitioner, nutritionist, or naturopathic doctor may be able to help you more with that.
How to Grate
Our certified organic jaggery is extracted from cane plants that are grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides. It is also produced without the harsh chemicals used to clarify cane sugar. Pure Indian Foods' organic jaggery is free of the lead contamination that is sometimes found in imported jaggery, and is packaged in a 2.2 lb. solid block that can be grated using a cheese grater.
Some Recipes for You
Ginger Ale Recipe1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1/2 to 3/4 cup Organic Jaggery, grated or crushed
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
A pinch of ground nutmeg
2 quarts water
1 Packet of Starter Culture
Place all the ingredients in a 2 quart glass jar, and close the lid tightly. Shake the jar to mix well. Leave at room temperature (preferred temperature is 70 F) for about 3 days. Strain it and refrigerate. Keeps fresh in refrigerator for about a month. Serving Size: 4 oz. Servings about 16.
Jaggery Ginger Cookies2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1/3 cup jaggery (grated)
2 TBSP filtered water
1 TBSP cinnamon ground
2 tsp ginger ground
3/4 tsp cardamom ground
100 g Pure Indian Foods Ghee (1/2 cup + 2 TBSP OR 5 fluid ounces)
1/2 cup sugar organic
1/3 cup sugar for coating
Grate the jaggery and combine with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and water in a small sauce pan. Turn on low and melt slowly for about 2-3 minutes. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, add the melted jaggery mixture, ghee, sugar, and egg. Use a hand mixer to whisk together until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes. Add the flour mixture in two parts and fold in with a fork. It should form a soft dough that sticks together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough is too sticky, refrigerate for 20 minutes. Otherwise, go ahead and roll into about 24 one inch balls. Roll dough balls in sugar, and place 1.5 inches apart on a baking sheet. (Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking.) Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) for 12-14 minutes to get crisp cookies. Slightly shorten the cooking time to get chewier cookies. When done, remove from oven, and immediately cool on a wire rack. The cookies will get slightly harder as they cool but should remain soft/chewy inside. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 24 cookies.
We love our jaggery, and we think you will, too! Here are 25 fun ideas:
- Use as you would brown or white sugar in recipes. For best results, grate only the amount needed.
- Sweeten tea, coffee and grain beverages.
- Add to hot milk with a spoonful of Grass-fed Ghee and a dash of cardamom powder for a nourishing drink. Stir until jaggery has dissolved.
- Add a spoonful to pie crust dough when making a dessert crust. Use a pastry blender or food processor to blend all ingredients. This makes a beautiful, lightly sweetened golden brown crust.
- Stir a spoonful of jaggery syrup into plain yogurt. Add fruit or natural flavoring extracts such as vanilla if desired.
- Make hot sweet rice by stirring a spoonful into hot basmati rice. Add toasted almonds, currents and a spoonful of Grass-fed Ghee, Cultured Ghee, or Coconut Ghee. This makes a delicious breakfast or a snack, and the kids will love it!
- Add to pancake or waffle batter in place of sugar. For delicious blueberry pancakes, mix 1/3 cup flour with a pinch of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda. Separately, blend 1 whole egg with 2 teaspoons melted Grass-fed Ghee or Virgin PRIMALFAT Coconut Ghee, ¼ cup organic buttermilk and 2 teaspoons jaggery syrup. Pour over flour mixture; add blueberries, stir to combine, and make pancakes. Serves one.
- For subtle caramel notes, add a little to sauces for meats, vegetables and grains.
- Muffins and biscuits are delicious and nutritious when prepared with jaggery.
- Make your own Kombucha, kefir, or ginger ale with jaggery.
- Sweeten frostings and icings for cakes and pastries by blending grated or mashed jaggery with softened or melted butter or coconut oil.
- Make delicious hot chocolate by combining 1 cup organic milk or non-dairy milk, 1 to 2 tablespoons jaggery and 1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until cocoa and jaggery are dissolved. Remove from heat. If desired, add a drop of vanilla and a spoonful of Grass-fed Digestive Ghee.
- Make roasted spiced pecans or other nuts with jaggery. Melt jaggery with butter, salt and spices. Stir in nuts to coat well. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make delicious caramelized onions in grass-fed ghee or butter with a pinch of jaggery.
- Add a little jaggery to spaghetti sauce to add a subtle bit of sweetness and help cut down on the acid from the cooked tomatoes.
- If you are a candy maker, use jaggery in place of sugar.
- Slice 2 large bananas vertically to make 4 long halves. Cook in 2 tablespoons Dessert Ghee or Digestive Ghee over medium heat, for just a minute or two. Turn the bananas over. Sprinkle with 1 or 2 tablespoons grated jaggery and some cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Continue to cook for another 2 to 4 minutes or until bananas are browned and caramel-like. Serve as is or with whipped cream, yogurt, ice cream or favorite non-dairy frozen dessert. Serves 4. For variation, try this recipe with apples, pears, or peaches in place of bananas.
- Mix a little mashed or grated jageery with peanut butter, almond butter or other favorite nut butter. Spread over toast or crackers.
- Make chocolate chip cookies with grated jaggery instead of white or brown sugar.
- Add jaggery syrup to gingerbread or ginger cookies in place of molasses. Remember, jaggery syrup is sweet and rich, so you can cut down on the additional sugar called for in the recipe.
- Sweeten a favorite brownie recipe with jaggery instead of sugar.
- Stew dried fruits with jaggery. Simply simmer 1 cup dried fruits such as figs, dates, raisins or prunes with a teaspoon of jaggery in 1 cup water or apple juice. For extra flavor, add a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.
- Add a spoonful of jaggery to curry dishes for a nice compliment to hot spices.
- Add a little jaggery to salad dressings such as vinaigrette. Be sure to blend with a blender in order to completely combine ingredients. Delicious!
- Use grated jaggery as a “sugar scrub” for your body. It helps to exfoliate dead skin cells, creating healthy, soft and supple skin. Don’t forget elbows and heels!
Hi! I'm Sandeep.
I travel to India, Asia, South America, and Europe to bring you back some of the most pristine, pure, organic clean ingredients in the world. All the products you'll find here at Pure Indian Foods are ones that me and my family use personally.
My family has been making ghee since 1889. Today, my wife, Nalini (aka "The Ghee Lady"), carries on this tradition. She still makes all the ghee and tightens every jar by hand.
We are passionate about bringing you traditional and nourishing foods. It's our labor of love and service to human-kind. Thank you for supporting our small family business.
Follow on Instagram