For more than 5,000 years, the rich, deep-red oil from the African Palm has been a treasured staple food for the indigenous people of Central and West Africa, Indonesia and Malaysia. Legend has it that in ancient times, this seemingly miraculous oil was so sacred and its live-giving properties so cherished that it was entombed with the pharaohs in ancient Egypt, ensuring their pleasure and happiness in the afterlife.
Although popular for eons among indigenous people, red palm oil was virtually unknown to the West until just a few decades ago. As science began to uncover the critical role of fatty acids in human health, the demand for quality fats and oils has grown by leaps and bounds. As such, the demand for, and production of red palm oil has significantly increased.
You may be aware that palm oil has been a major player in the deforestation and destruction of some of the Earth’s most biodiverse forests, including the natural habitats of already endangered species. Rest assured this is not the case with our red palm oil! It’s guaranteed sustainable and certified organic and very importantly displays the “Palm Done Right” promise on the label. This ensures the product is 100% organic, fully traceable, deforestation-free, wildlife friendly, and fair and social. You can read more about Palm Done Right here.
Our wonderful red palm oil is pressed from the seed and fruit of the African Red Palm tree (Elaeis guineensis). It’s delightfully rich, buttery and delicious, and it imparts a lovely orange-red tint to foods. Enjoy these ideas:
- Add it to rice and other grains.
- Bake it into quick breads, muffins and cookies.
- Use as you would butter in a recipe.
- Add to a variety of dal / legumes.
- Add to basting sauces for additional nutrition, flavor and color for meats and fish.
- Sauté onions for a delicious, colorful treat. Spoon over salads, grains, cooked vegetables and meats.
- Coat nuts in red palm oil, pink salt and your choice of spices. Roast until done to your liking.
- Add a dollop to yams or sweet potatoes, or coat raw sweet potato fries with oil and spices. Roast or air-fry until tender.
- Coat chicken breast in spices, salt and pepper. Pan-sear both sides in red palm oil. Serve over a leafy green salad or make chicken salad with good quality mayonnaise.
- Roast zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers and spices in red palm oil. Add your favorite cheese, cooked pasta and/or protein of choice – meat, poultry, shrimp, legumes, tofu, etc.
- Blend red palm oil with coconut oil, coconut ghee or butter to make delicious, tender pie crust, perfect for desserts and quiche.
- Sauté vegetables and meats in red palm oil for soups, stews and casseroles.
Red palm oil can be used topically, too:
- Use it as a great massage oil.
- Apply to the face and body to lock in moisture and soften skin.
- Massage your scalp.
- Rub it into fingernail beds and cuticles.
- Soften hard, cracked skin on feet.
- Add to a favorite Multani Mitti recipe for a wonderful, relaxing face mask.