"I had the opportunity to try this jaggery on my last trip to India, and I just had to bring it back for you." ~Sandeep
Jaggery, unlike white sugar, contains rich molasses and trace minerals naturally present in sugar cane juice. This is what gives it such a complex, bright, fruity flavor beyond just being sweet! The color of traditionally-made, chemical-free jaggery ranges from golden to dark brown.
Adding herbs and spices to jaggery has been an Indian tradition. Such an addition not only enhances jaggery's flavor, it also allows you to conveniently add these amazing spices and herbs to your diet. Enjoy a small piece of this Ayurvedic Jaggery with or at the end of a meal.
We seal jaggery in plastic to prevent contamination during shipping. However, jaggery stores better in a breathable container where it can get plenty of air, as excessive moisture can cause it to spoil. Grate with a coarse cheese grater to use, and store in a non-airtight container or in cheese cloth.
Delicious Ideas for how to Use Ayurvedic Jaggery:
- Add a spoonful to hot, spiced chai
- Stir into hot cooked oatmeal or other hot cereal
- Mix into hot sweet potatoes with a spoonful of ghee
- Combine with favorite nut butter; spread on banana, pear or apple slices
- Stir into hot tea or coffee
- Scrape or grate over yogurt or ice cream
- Use in place of sugar in stove-top or baked custard
- Soften and use in pumpkin pie
- Sprinkle over peanut butter, almond butter or tahini on toast
- Add a bit to simmering tomato or pasta sauce
- Add to cookies in place of white or brown sugar
- Soften and add to a spice cake recipe
- Enjoy puréed in your favorite smoothie
- Use a bit to sweeten and spice simmering apple or pear butter
- Soften a small amount and add to marinades for meats; this adds rich, wonderful flavor
- Add to simmering baked beans