Triphala Powder- Ground Amla, Haritaki, Bibhtaki
Species: Amla (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhtaki (Terminalia bellirica)
Other names: Triphala churna
Appearance: Brown color.
Typically used: Powdered
Origin: The name Triphala Churna comes from combining the Sanskrit words “tri” meaning three, “phala” meaning fruit and “churcha,” which means powder. The three fruits are mixed in equal parts to form the traditional Triphala Churna. It has been used for over 2,000 years as a staple in ayurvedic medicine.
Flavor: Triphala contains five of the six tastes recognized in ayurvedic medicine including: Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Pungent and Astringent.
Make Triphala Powder Tea: Add a level teaspoon of the powder, stirred vigorously into a glass of very hot but not boiling. Leave this mixture to settle for at least twenty minutes. Drink the whole glass of triphala water in one sitting, leaving the sediment at the bottom. After this, refill the glass with hot water, mix it well and leave it to use again for a second time.
Triphala Powder – Its Many Uses and Properties
Triphala Powder, literally translated as “three fruits” is a traditional Ayurvedic formulation made up of three fruits native to the region. Triphala Churna is often called the “nectar of life” for it’s cleansing, balancing and healing properties in Ayurvedic medicine. The three fruits this blend contains are Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica) and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula).
- Amalaki – The word Amla translates to mean “sour”. Amalaki has a naturally sour taste.
- Bibhitaki – In Sanskrit, Bibhitaki is known as “Vibheetaki” in which ‘bheeta’ means fear and ‘Vibheeta’ means lack of fear. The whole word “Vibheetaki” means the fruit that takes away the fear.
- Haritaki – Haritaki has been regarded very highly from ancient times by traditional healers and it is rightly called the mother of herbs.
The Properties of Triphala:
Each fruit in the Triphala powder supports the balance of the ayruvedic doshas. Amalaki has a cooling effect, which manages fiery pitta energy. Bibhitaki is good for kapha, which maintains the fluid balance in the body, so this is helpful to get things moving throughout the body. Haritaki has a heating nature but balances all three doshas but most specifically Vata.
Uses for Triphala Powder
- Triphala tea: Add a level teaspoon of the powder, stirred vigorously into a glass of very hot but not boiling. Leave this mixture to settle for at least twenty minutes. Drink the whole glass of triphala water in one sitting, leaving the sediment at the bottom. After this, refill the glass with hot water, mix it well and leave it to use again for a second time.
- Capsule: To avoid the taste, put your preferred dose (start with one rounded teaspoon) in to a capsule and take at breakfast and after dinner.
- Add to your favorite smoothie.
- Add triphala powder to your favorite juice: similar to tea, add a level teaspoon and stir vigorously and let sit similar to water.
- Make Triphala Churna Lemon Milk: In 8 ounces of warm milk, add a squeeze of lemon, honey and begin with a level teaspoon of Triphala, increasing to up to two tablespoons over time.
- Mix a pinch of triphala with warm water and use as an eye rinse around eyes. You can use an eyewash cup for this.
- Hair rinse: Mix 2 tablespoons of triphala in 4-5 tablespoons of water, massage in scalp, after 15-20 minutes, add water and spread throughout hair, wait ten more minutes and rinse out for shiny, healthy, thick hair.
- Make taking Triphala a little sweeter by taking with a small spoonful of honey.
- Especially for Pitta people, triphala powder mixed with ghee will help balance this dosha.
Please consult your healthcare practitioner if you are pregnant, nursing, taking any medication or have a medical condition, or if you experience an allergic reaction.
This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Encapsulate Triphala at Home
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Buy on Amazon